"Benton Students Honored in St. Louis"
Three students accepted honors at the 32nd annual Picture the Music program, presented in St. Louis at Powell Hall on Wednesday, April 6, 2022. Students across Illinois and Missouri were inspired to make artwork while listening to Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 5. Nearly 60 schools (grades K-6) and 11,000 students participated in the program. According to the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra (SLSO), “Teachers were able to submit up to seven pieces of artwork per school, and a panel of expert judges selected the top 100 from more than 360 entries. Artwork will be displayed at the Magic House from April 7- 20; then be displayed at Plaza Frontenac April 21-May 5, 2022.”
Second-grader Isabelle Houseworth and third-grader Ella Pitts received “Special Recognition Awards” for their submissions. Second-grader Jasper Hall won the “St. Louis Symphony Award,” the top honor for his age group. All families were in attendance, with students winning tickets to both the Magic House and SLSO. According to the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra’s program materials, Picture the Music “invites [students] to create their own artistic interpretations in paintings, drawings, or colorings in response to a specific selection of classical music.”
- Jasper Hall – “Spidey Pack”
- Isabelle Houseworth – “Rainbow Masterpiece”
- Ella Pitts – “Boat Crashing in the Sea”
Powell Hall Photos:
- Jasper Hall wears his Saint Louis Symphony Award Medal surrounded by family at Powell Hall on Wednesday, April 6, 2022.
- Ella Pitts awaits the awards ceremony at Powell Hall on Wednesday, April 6, 2022.
- Isabelle Houseworth is joined by her family at Powell Hall on Wednesday, April 6, 2022.
- Isabelle Houseworth stands in front of her winning entry “Rainbow Masterpiece” at Powell Hall on Wednesday, April 6, 2022.
- Jasper Hall stands in front of his winning entry “Spidey Pack” at Powell Hall on Wednesday, April 6, 2022.